Open-Ended Materials for a Universal Design Approach to Teaching Multilingual LearnersJuly 30, 2022
Teachers of Young Children Need More than Translanguaging TheoryMarch 5, 2023
- Language Castle Cognate Guide: How to Use Spanish/English Cognates to Support Dual Language Learners in Preschool and Kindergarten by Karen Nemeth 2016
- Spotlight on Young Children: Supporting Dual Language Learners Meghan Dombrink-Green and Holly Bohart, Editors with Karen N. Nemeth 2014, NAEYC
- New Words, New Friends by Karen N. Nemeth 2014, Language Castle Press
- Nuevas Palabras, Nuevos Amigos by Karen N. Nemeth 2014, Language Castle Press
- Young Dual Language Learners: A Guide for PreK-3 Leaders, Karen N. Nemeth, 2014, Caslon Publishing.
- Mi Habitación/My Room (Bilingual Smart: Toddlers) Ana Lomba and Karen Nemeth – 2013 (English)
- My Room/Mi Habitación (Inteligencia Bilingüe) Ana Lomba y Karen Nemeth – 2013 (español)
- Getting Teachers Ready to Teach Young DLLs: A Professional Development Resource Kit, Karen N. Nemeth, 2013, iBook Store and iTunes
- Many Languages, One Classroom: Teaching Dual and English Language Learners, Karen N. Nemeth, 2009, Gryphon House
- Many Languages, Building Connections: Supporting Infants and Toddlers Who Are Dual Language Learners, Karen N. Nemeth, 2012, Gryphon House
- Digital Decisions: Making the Right Technology Choices in Early Childhood Education, Fran Simon and Karen Nemeth, 2012, Gryphon House
- Basics of Teaching Dual Language Learners: An Introduction for Educators of Children Birth through age 8, – Karen N. Nemeth, 2012 National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Home Visits for Immigrant Families & Young Dual Language Learners, Karen N. Nemeth Ed.M., 2012, available for FREE in PDF format on this website.
Webinars, Videos, Podcasts:
- Podcast – The Science of Language Development via HiMama
- Webinar – Nurturing Bilingual Infants and Toddlers at Early Childhood Investigations August 2016
- Video – Karen Nemeth Presenting on Dual Language Learners at Opening Minds USA January 2014
- Podcast interview with Rae Pica and Jennifer Chen June 2016: ‘Helping Dual-Language Learners Succeed Academically”
- Podcast ‘Want to Quickly Connect with English Language Learners? Try This” on Studentcentricity with Rae Pica, Mary Renck Jalongo, and John Spencer
- Webinar – Family Engagement Strategies for all Languages and Cultures at Early Childhood Investigations March 2015
- Webinar – Authentic Conversation: The Key to First and Second Language/Literacy Development in the Early Years at Imagine Learning October 2015
- Webinar – Becoming Bilingual: Resources and Strategies to Help Staff and Children in Your program Develop the Bilingual Advantage with Kathleen Hayes at Early Childhood Investigations February 2014
- Webinar – Communicating with Families in Head Start – 21st Century Techniques to Enhance Family Involvement and Relationships at Early Childhood Investigations March 2014
- Podcast – How Can We Better Support ELLs? with Judie Haynes and Larry Ferlazzo on Bam Radio 2014
- Webinar – Support Diversity in Your ECE Program with a Treasure Trove of Free Resources: Libraries and Librarians with Lisa Guernsey and Cen Campbell at Early Childhood Investigations January 2013
- Webinar – Digital and D.A.P. : What ECE Administrators and Trainers Need to Know to Help Teachers Use Technology with Fran Simon at Early Childhood Investigations December 2012
- Webinar – Building Bridges to Support ELLs/DLLs into Early Childhood Programs: Connecting PreK and Elementary Strategies with Elsa Cardenas at Hatch November 2012
- Making Math Meaningful for Diverse Learners (Oct/Nov 2017) Teaching Young Children
- Teaching Emergent Bilingual Learners with Disabilities or Challenging Behaviors in Preschool (2017) with Pam Brillante, Journal of Multilingual Education Research
- Putting New DLL Policy to Work: New Standards Bring New Opportunities for Dual Language Children (Fall 2017) High Scope’s The Active Learner journal
- The Rising Focus on ELLs in the Early Years (April 2017) TESOL Connections
- Response: Understanding the Benefits of a Student’s Home Language (January 2017) in Larry Ferlazzo’s blog for Education Week Teacher
- Federal Policies Highlight ELLs in Early Education (11/2016) on Judie Haynes’ TESOL blog
- Fast 5 Gamechangers to Help Diverse Young Children Respect Each Other (11/2016) on NAEYC blog
- Strategies to Support DLL Children (Fall 2016) HighScope ReSource magazine
- Response: Starting the New Year by Building Relationships (8/2016) in Larry Ferlazzo’s Classroom Q & A blog for Education Week.
- Teacher Education Across the Grade Spectrum – Early Childhood (in press) TESOL Encyclopedia of Teacher Education
- Strategies for Dual Language Learners (2016) in Sage Encyclopedia of Contemporary Early Childhood Education (D. Couchenour & J.K. Chrisman, Eds.)
- Building Together Resources for Dual Language Learners (2016) NAEYC Blog
- Literacy Strategies for Librarians in Diverse Communities (2016) Colorin Colorado
- Family Engagement Strategies for ALL Languages and Cultures (2016) with Amaya Garcia in Family Engagement in the Digital Age: Early Childhood Educators as Media Mentors, Chip Donohue, Editor.
- Engaging Families of PreK-3 ELs (June 2016) on Judie Haynes’ column for TESOL
- Foreword to Connecting Right from the Start: Fostering Effective Communication with Dual Language Learners – 2016 by Jennifer Chen (Gryphon House)
- Dual Language Learners in the Preschool Classroom – a collection of featured articles for teachers and professional development providers – HighScope Extensions April 2016
- Strategies that Work in Multilingual Classrooms on Bloomboard.com February 2016
- Being a Bilingual Teacher in Early Childhood Education on the CDA Council blog – 2015
- Making Science Accessible in Multilingual Classrooms on the National Science Teachers Association Blog September 2015
- Languages in the Classroom: Meeting the Needs of an Increasingly Diverse Student Population July/August 2015 Literacy Today
- Leadership Teams: Working with Consultants to Support Meaningful Change Karen Nemeth, Young Children May 2015
- Comprehensive Supports for Young English Learners: Strategies for Language Acquisition in the Early Grades May 2015 Principal Magazine
- A Welcome for Every Student, Educational Leadership Online, February 2015
- Technology to Support Dual Language Learners, Karen N. Nemeth, in Technology and Digital Media in the Early Years: Tools for Teaching and Learning, Edited by Chip Donohue, 2014, NAEYC
- Supporting ELL Transitions in Early Education, Karen N. Nemeth Sept 2014, TESOL Connections
- Supporting Diverse Young Children Takes a Diversity Team, Karen N. Nemeth 2014, NAEYC blog
- Paper 3: Program Elements and Teaching Practices to Support Young Dual Language Learners(California Department of Education) Goldenberg, Nemeth, Hicks, Zepeda, Cardona, May 2013
- Technology for Young Dual Language Learners – blog post on the Fred Rogers Center website, July 2013
- Respecting Assets that ELLs Bring to a School Community with Larry Ferlazzo, Judie Haynes, David Deubelbeiss and Julie Goldman, Edublogs, March 2014
- Get to Know the NEW Children’s Librarian! Karen N. Nemeth & Cen Campbell December 2013, Teaching Young Children
- Using Technology as a Teaching Tool for Dual Language Learners in Preschool through Grade 3, with Fran S. Simon, March 2013, Young Children
- Enhancing Practice with Infants and Toddlers from Diverse Language and Cultural Backgrounds, with Valeria Erdosi, September 2012, Young Children
- Solving the Puzzle: Dual Language Learners with Challenging Behaviors, with Pam Brillante, July 2011, Young Children
- Head Start’s Revised Framework and Resources, April/May 2011, Teaching Young Children
- Meeting the Home Language Mandate: Practical Strategies for All Classrooms, March 2009, Young Children
- Meeting the Home Language Mandate in Spotlight on Teaching, Derry Koralek, Ed., 2009, NAEYC
- Math and Science for Dual Language Learners in Preschool: The Right Place to Start, Fall 2009, NCELA: AccELLerate!
Karen Nemeth, Ed. M.
is the author of many print books, eBooks, articles and papers.
NAEYC, January 2010
This timely guide is designed to aid preschool teachers and administrators in supporting children’s home language while helping them learn English. … This invaluable teaching resource makes a critical contribution to our understanding of this topic and the ability to teach dual language learners.
Texas Child Care Quarterly, Spring 2010
Bringing years of experience and expertise to the project, Nemeth has offered an important tool for opening the door to literacy and learning for English—and home—language learners.